Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A series of fortunate events

I'm finally now getting into my groove of learning. Any post from here on out can be assumed to have at least some procrastinating motive. The way my schedule has shaken down thus far has been fairly amazing. First, to get the scoop on the courses I was signed up for, I waltzed into an advisers office who happened to be from the states and identified with something I said as we were getting acquainted. She happened to be in charge of the International Internship in Entrepreneurship, which I was familiar with, however the deadline to apply was last spring before this trip even materialized. She liked me and my story enough to streamline an application for this elite module* internship program.
CM_IIE - Internship in International Entrepreneurship* (Elite course)
*"only 20 elite modules have been appointed in Denmark by the Ministry of Science. Elite modules are especially demanding and challenging courses, aimed at particularly skillful students."

To start off, its 3 weeks of 4 hr/day lectures with a slew of readings, followed by a 4 hr exam. Then the 30 hr/ week consultancy internship starts up for 10 weeks with a 50 pg mini consultancy report and a 1 hr oral presentation to the company and advisers. It will be a lot of work, however well worth it to get the exposure and deeper level of immersion that will come with working in a Danish Company for 10 weeks. They still haven't told me the company I'm placed with, but who ever it is, its an opportunity for a unique experience that Im not about to pass up. Plus, it will transfer as my entire PSU business project, which will allow me to take the core classes I'm missing in the Winter and Spring in Portland. It sounds like perhaps more work than the business project would otherwise entail, but I figure the more I put in the more I will get out, and perhaps in the larger scheme will balance out some of the garbage in garbage out work I did in my undergrad tour.

My other course, "Leadership and Management in Action" only meets on Wednesday's for 4 hrs and is mainly case based discussions. Not as challenging, but it will undoubtedly be interesting and helpful.

I went to dinner last night with the Scan Design Foundation and the rest of the students they funded for study in Denmark this Fall. Pretty awesome that that opportunity and I crossed paths, as they are funding this incredible opportunity for me and 10 other students. I am the lone Oregon representative, as they have before now only funded a variety of UW students. The other students are nice group who I will enjoy getting to know.

Thats all I've got for now. Its a lot to be thankful for, and truly a good run of fortunate events leading me to this point. Now I'm definitely procrastinating ...

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Good recap, sweetie. keep 'um coming! I do like the photos, too. Beautiful! Can't wait to see for myself. ;)
hugs from your fiance & Mr Vinchenzo.