Thursday, September 24, 2009

The little things

Im a week+ past the 1 month mark of being in Denmark. This is now officially the longest consecutive period of time I have been in any country other than the US, passing my 4 weeks in Ecuador. Really, anywhere on my own for that matter. The experience has thus far been worthwhile to say the least.

All in all the little things have not seemed too profoundly different. The bread is however quite different, and I have grown to like it. Im not sure whats up with 4 dollar coins? Seems like kind of a lot to risk losing in a couch. The grocery stores for the most part are much smaller with less variety, although I can see the 1 stop shop phenomenon creeping its way in at places like Føtex (not necessarily a good thing). People (me) seem to eat out less frequently as it is quite expensive, while 150 kroner ($30) can be stretched quite a ways at a market. Lots of dairy and pork. Ive been eating yogurt with granola every day. I cannot find Yerba Mate` anywhere, and as far as I can tell, note-cards cannot be purchased here (making them from construction paper works just fine however).

The most profound reflection on my experience thus far, is that while life may be outlined by adventures taken, the defining joy for me comes in the human interaction of sharing that journey. Its a little like the bear in the woods. I now think that I may take for granted the covey of close friends I have, and having just committed to spend the rest of my life with someone, there is a bit of hollowness in experiencing a beautiful new part of the world and not sharing it with my special lady friend. That of course isn't to say that I am not having a great time, or am not forever grateful for the experience of pushing my comfort zone and expanding my mind through a new cultural perspective. Plus, I am making some friends whose company I will undoubtedly enjoy. Beyond my expected missing of the little lady, it seems somehow contradictory and odd to make such a profound commitment then to venture off on my own... But, to quote every athlete who has nothing to say... it is what it is. And while it is indeed that, I will embrace this experience like the once in a lifetime opportunity it is!

No comments: