Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lovin it in Lemvig

My friend from high school Colin has been playing at obscure levels of professional basketball in Europe (Spain and Germany) for the past 5 years. He and I were good friends in high school, but as is often the case, we lost touch over the past decade. He now lives and plays ball professionally for a club team in Lemvig, which is a small town in North Western Denmark. I took the train up to visit him for the weekend.

View Larger Map

It was real nice to reconnect with Colin and hopefully rekindle a friendship. After such a long time it is far from a sure thing that you will still get along with an old friend, but we had a great time, and I look forward to seeing him again while here.

Lemvig, pronounced (Lem-VE) has the quaint small town feel that I can appreciate. The small size of the town became obvious upon meeting locals for the first time at a bar who knew about me and the bulk of my story after my being in town for all of 4 hrs. Winthin meeting some middle aged people and chatting for 25 minutes or so I was offered a ride back to Copenhagen on Monday, which unfortunately didnt time out right, but it goes to show the friendly nature in the Lemvig air.

Colin's Club team, with friends and family, had a pig roast party where I got stuffed before a long night of drinking beer with Danes young and old. Things got a little drunk in town that night, but it was a lot of fun. The next day it was playing some light hoops, or "Basket" as they call it (for the first time in ...multiple years), and just relaxing in a friendly town in the Danish countryside. Colin is likewise trying to learn danish, so we watched some Danish subtitled episodes of The Office to learn a bit with our feet up.

Good time.

No comments: